Thursday, November 3, 2011

Romy Taormina-Psi Bands

Romy's Story

Tell us the story of your journey. Include details about what inspired you to go into business, was this a life long dream or a newer desire. Share as many details as you are comfortable sharing.

I always knew I wanted to run my own business, but had no idea that months of debilitating nausea would lead me there! My product is Psi Bands (www.psibands.com), stylish acupressure wrist bands for the relief of nausea due to morning sickness, motion sickness/travel, chemotherapy, and anesthesia.  I discovered the positive effects of using wrist acupressure to alleviate my nausea after experiencing numerous months of terrible morning sickness during my pregnancies. Dissatisfied with existing products on the market, I decided to quit my day job as a grant writer, and create Psi Bands, an FDA-cleared product that is both fashionable and functional for others who suffer from nausea.  Without any experience in product design, medical devices, acupressure, getting a product in front of large retailers and landing a deal, or learning a new language – the lingo spoke by the large retailers (i.e. “slotting”, “TPRs”, “MDF”, “planograms”, “clip strips”). The resulting Psi Bands come in five fun designs, and are uniquely adjustable at two areas, around the wrist like a watch and at the acupressure point for personalized comfort. They are also waterproof (no more soggy wrist bands), reusable and affordable. With Psi Bands, those who suffer from the VERY common, yet debilitating condition of nausea can feel better – in style and comfort!


Did you go into business before or after you had children? How do/did your children affect your decision to go into business.


Of course, without having been pregnant (and suffering with morning sickness) I never would have conceived of Psi Bands. So, I certainly have my kids to thank for the idea! I strongly believe in using my business to teach my kids (now ages 11 and 9) life lessons. Our children intuitively understand many things for which we often do not give them credit. Involve your children in the business wherever possible. Share with them why you are doing what you do. They learn determination and hard work through our example.


Share your trials and triumphs. We want to hear about your highs and lows. Did you have any low points or worries as well as high points and huge shining moments?

We did not know that Psi Bands were considered a medical device and had to have FDA clearance. When we found out, we pulled product from shelves and later re-launched. This was a huge obstacle, but we overcame through determination and hard work. Psi Bands make a measureable and positive difference in the lives of those who suffer from nausea so we kept focused on getting our product to the masses.


Probably the characteristic I have that is most essential to success is determination and not taking “no” for an answer. “No” may mean “no” right now, but it doesn't mean “no” forever. For example, when I first approached a major retailer, I was told that until we had our FDA-clearance that he would not even speak with me. The day after we received our clearance, I was on the phone telling this buyer that he promised to speak with me once we had our clearance. He was all ears, and we eventually landed that account.


Do you have any encouraging words to share with mom entrepreneurs that may help to keep their spirits up on a trying day. Not necessarily trade secrets that pertain to business but more directed toward encouraging another mom not to give up and/or to keep following a dream.

Believe in yourself. (If I could add one more, it would be: There will be bumps. Savor the Journey.) I would strongly recommend joining other female entrepreneur support groups such as Savor the Success or Make Mine a Million $ Business. The women in these groups are dynamic, experienced, creative, and believe in the motto: “give, give, get”. There is sharing of information, both professionally and personally. I feel so fortunate to be able to provide and receive feedback from these talented groups.

Romy's site is www.psibands.com




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete